Are you curious about habits of happy people? Do you have some of the same habits? Would you like to have more of them? A great deal of happiness is within your control. Happiness is intentional. It doesn’t just “happen”. We have gathered twenty-five tips that happy people have cultivated and practice on a regular basis.
1) Look at problems as challenges and mistakes as opportunities.
2) Meditate and learn how to live in the moment.
3) Give of yourself, be it time or money.
4) Let go of grudges. Learn to either accept or forgive.
5) Be around other happy people. If negativity is contagious then so is being positive!
6) Give positive regard. Treat others well.
7) Take care of your physical self. Develop healthy eating and sleeping habits. Get enough exercise.
8) Be proactive! Don’t procrastinate.
9) Try to love yourself. An African proverb says, “When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.”
10) Get outdoors and be with nature whenever possible.
11) Be curious about the world around you. Be willing to learn.
12) Buy experiences, not things. People remember trips and events for years. What you buy, you’ll forget about within a short period of time.
13) Develop a Morning Ritual. Consistency to a process is a comforting way to begin a day.
14) Celebrate others! Be part of the cheering section for others in their accomplishments both large and small.
15) Practice Gratitude. People who regularly practice gratitude report less anxiety and depression than those who do not.
16) Stay fully engaged. Put social media, phones, televisions all away and “get real” with your friends and family. How much reality is
passing you by while you are whittling your time away on Facebook?
17) Stay away from drama. It doesn’t matter what it is or who is involved or what the details are or who said what. It matters that you
can choose not to participate. Make peace your goal.
18) Be persistent. Most people are inclined to give up too soon. Often, the one who gets the prize isn’t the smartest or the most
capable; rather, it’s the one who keeps trying.
19) LAUGH out loud! LOL! Nothing bad comes from a good belly laugh. Keep your sense of humor intact and it will help through
many a rough spot.
20) Stop making excuses. Stop blaming others. Own up to your behavior and be transparent and authentic. Honesty frees up a lot of
21) Look at strengths as positives. When we focus on what we do well, we tend to do it even better!
22) Acknowledge self. Reward yourself for things that you’ve done well. Notice others but be sure to also notice yourself!
23) Be intentional about being intentional. You can scuba or you can snorkel…which way do you want to see your ocean?
24) Spend time alone. Be sure to decompress and relax when you have the chance.
25) Be true to yourself. Keep your inner moral compass on center in spite of what is going on around you.
Source: Franciscan Health EAP and Amy Pleasant, Franciscan Wellcare
We recommend scheduling a tour at your local fitness center to learn if they offer the equipment, classes, personal training, friendly kids zone you are looking for. If you are not sure where to tour, we invite you to visit our club!
Click here to schedule a tour and speak with a Membership Coordinator